6.26.2013

Vacation Bible School

A couple of weeks ago, my baby  big boy, Evan, went to Vacation Bible School. Since this was his first experience at any organized school setting (where I left campus) I had to document the event with photos.

I had to really debate with myself as to whether I was going to lug my camera along with me (along with Evan & Preston) to school. Ideally, Jeff would go to work late and help me take the boys to school so I could take pictures. Well, ideal isn't reality. So, I did not bring my camera along. Doing the math, I think I would have been responsible for 60 some pounds of precious cargo (camera and boys included) and that was just too much on day 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 of school.  In fact, Jeff was gone this entire week of VBS on a work trip. The timing of VBS was not short of divine intervention as it helped give us structure and purpose and at the same time really helped Evan blossom socially.




Day 1 at school did not go well. His Elmo bag (he was the only kid that I noticed that brought a backpack to vbs) was stocked with 2 pairs of underwear and pants. Well he went through both of them on day 1. Ugh! But rewinding to the drop off on day 1 -- I had to literally peel him off of me to hand him off to his teacher. The tears and screaming made a real scene, but I was strong, and Evan did indeed complete his first day.

Monday night I had to do some real consideration on whether or not I should pull him from VBS. It wasn't fair for the other kids to be around our potty-trained child who refused to use the potty. (He told his VBS teacher, "I use the potty at home.") Well, I had decided to power through to Day 2 and if he was as bad again, I would pull him from the program.

Well, Day 2 came and the crying wasn't quite as violent at drop off.  We got really familiar with the potty before and after school and he did great! No accidents!! Yay!

Day 3 and 4 were both great for him (and me) too. Evan had no tears and he continued on his accident-free streak. Friday was the family picnic celebration. It was really nice. I got to see how Evan had progressed from his pre-pre-school experience to five days later. The celebration on Friday was mostly outside. Evan did cry a little bit saying he didn't want to leave. This experience gave me real confidence that come August, when 3K starts, that he will be just fine.


Posted by Picasa
           
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment